Tips on how to continue your weight loss journey:
- Aftercare! – continue with
your post op appointments 1 week, 3 months, 6 months,12 months and every year
thereafter. Continue to have your labs drawn to check important vitamins and
- Compliance with follow up visits gives you access to the dietitians and exercise specialists via phone, email and drop in visits.
- Consume small meals and eat frequently
to eat 5-6 small meals a day will help increase metabolism, energy and satiety.
Eat a good breakfast, at least 20-25grams of protein.
- Obtaining protein and nutrients from high quality protein such as meat, eggs, cheese and soy products can leave you feeling satisfied while feeding your muscles!
- Eat and chew slowly! Enjoy your food!
- Add in fiber – Fiber sources like non-starchy
vegetables (cooked or raw), whole wheat toast, brown rice and berries are a few
examples of high fiber sources. These sources are packed full of vitamins and
minerals and can keep you fuller longer.
- Fiber keeps your digestive track health and regular.
- Exercise regularly – Exercise
keeps muscles strong and strong muscles can burn fat even when you are at rest.
- Walk at least 20 mins per day to burn fat stores and preserve muscle.
- Eat nutritiously to provide your body the energy needed for exercise!
- Water – 64oz of water/water based liquid that
is decaffeinated, sugar free and has no carbonation.
- Continue to separate drinking liquids and solid foods.
- Vitamins and minerals – Unless told otherwise by your healthcare provider, it is imperative to continue lifetime vitamin and mineral supplementation Weight gain after surgery? It can happen!
NOTE: It is possible to gain weight after bariatric surgery. Eating high-calorie or high-fat foods in place of healthy, nutrient dense foods can leave you feeling hungry shortly after consumption and increase your cravings for these types of food. Drinking high-calorie milkshakes, juice, and/or coffee drinks increases calorie intake and provides no nutritional value. You will often be left with feelings of hunger due to spikes in glucose levels. Remember to follow the suggestions above to avoid weight regain after bariatric surgery.