- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 medium red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese blend*
- 1 avocado chopped**
- Handful little tomatoes halved
- 1 small head romaine lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup sour cream* (OR use unflavored Greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (see note)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
*choose low fat dairy products
** omit if you want to lower fat content
- Add the olive oil, beef, and spices to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, using a spoon to break the meat up into smaller pieces (and stir often), for around 7 minutes or until it’s cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prep your other salad ingredients and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk them together.
- Once the ground beef is cooked, sprinkle it over the salad. Add dressing and toss. Serve immediately.
- Adobo sauce is the sauce that’s in those little cans of chipotle chilis with adobo sauce (find these in the Mexican aisle at the grocery store). The dressing was semi-spicy when I used 1 tbsp of the sauce. It gives the dressing a wonderful smoky flavor. Add more if you want it hotter. Chop up a pepper or two if you want it really spicy!
- If you don’t want to use the individual spices as I did, you can use pre-made taco seasoning if you prefer.