Sugar Free Lemon Lover’s Pie!
Author: Susan Maria Leach, Before & After
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup Truvia Baking blend
- 1 cup Splenda plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup lemon juice – you will need 4 fresh lemons. Grate the zest before squeezing the juice.
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked pie shell – line with parchment or foil, fill with dried beans & bake
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk the egg yolks and salt in medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan blend 1¾ cups cold water, cornstarch, ¼ cup Truvia and 1 cup Splenda. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with rubber scraper. It will begin to get clear in places and suddenly get very thick. Blend in the lemon zest and lemon juice, reduce the heat to low and beat until smooth and glossy while continuing to cook for 90 seconds – remove from heat.
- Begin whisking the egg yolks and slowly add some of the hot lemon mixture, stopping at about half, whisking constantly. You are doing this to warm the egg yolks before adding them to the hot mixture. If you poured the egg yolks into the hot lemon filling, they would instantly scramble!
- Return the warmed egg yolk mixture to saucepan, place back on low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the hot lemon filling into the baked pie shell and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using electric hand mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until smooth soft peaks form. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons Splenda sweetener and vanilla. Resume beating the meringue until thick and glossy.
- Top the warm pie with the meringue by placing large spoonfuls around edges of pie first to seal to the crust, then fill in center and smooth top of pie, leaving it slightly higher in center. Make decorative soft peaks with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until meringue is golden. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing.