Total Time: 45 minutes
- 7 oz (2 links) sweet Italian chicken sausage, removed from skin
- olive oil spray
- 1 3/4 cups part skim mozzarella, shredded (for gf, check labels)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 5 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers (from a 12 oz jar)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 8 large whole eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with oil. Place half of cheese into the baking dish.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, cook the sausage over medium heat breaking up as it cooks until browned and cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the oil to the skillet with the shallots and mushrooms and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the roasted peppers, broccoli and return the sausage, cook 1 minute; mix well and remove from heat. Spread evenly over
the cheese mixture.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, parmesan, salt and pepper and whisk well. Slowly pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 32 to 35 minutes. Let stand 8 to 10 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.
Yield: 8 Servings, Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 230 calories
- Total Fat: 13.5g
- Sodium: 496mg
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 19g