Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
Yield: 4 servings (as an appetizer)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins (includes marinating time)
Nutrition: 165 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 597 mg sodium, 12 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 24 g protein
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk*
- 4 teaspoons Tabasco Original Red Sauce — or hot sauce of choice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice — from about 2 large limes
- 1 pound large shrimp — 31-40 count, peeled and deveined (you can use fresh or frozen, thawed shrimp)
- 3/4 pound pineapple chunks — 1 inch-cut
- Canola oil — for grilling
- Freshly chopped cilantro and/or green onion — for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut milk, Tabasco sauce, soy sauce, orange juice, and lime juice. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 1-2 hours, tossing occasionally. If using wooden skewers, soak in warm water while the shrimp marinates. Meanwhile, prepare the pineapple if needed.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, and reserve the marinade for grilling. Thread the shrimp onto a skewers, alternating with the pineapple.
- Lightly brush the grill with canola oil, then place the shrimp on the grill. Grill the shrimp for 3 minutes, brushing with the marinade, then turn and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, brushing with the marinade again, until the shrimp are just cooked through. Remove to a serving plate and garnish with cilantro and green onion. Serve hot.
*If you purchase a can of coconut milk for this recipe, you
will have some leftover. You can freeze it for a future time, use it in
smoothies, or try it in any of my recipes that includes coconut milk is an