Aleisha Green, L.V.N. Waco Clinical Coordinator
Happy New Year everyone! Now that the New Year is here let’s talk about those resolutions that we all say we are going to keep and never do. Personal Successful Goal Setting is like a new year’s resolution, it’s something we want to do and hope to do but many times fail. Well not this time!!
Setting successful goals is like planning a trip. You don’t just get in the car and go, there is preparation involved. First you plan your destination along with the route to take, hotels to stay at, restaurants to eat at, places to see while on the trip and don’t forget the packing. Goal setting involves just as much preparation in order to successfully reach your goals.
So let’s walk through making a successful weight loss goal. Realistically, you can’t expect all the weight to fall off in a month that it took you years to put on. So our “big picture” goal is to lose 50lbs. So now the smaller more obtainable goals can be set.
Big Picture Goal — 50lbs
- Week 1 goals—exercise 2 days a week for 30 minutes and increase protein along with fluids and decrease sugar, carb intake for at least 3 days the first week.
- Week 2 goals—exercise 3 days a week for 30 minutes and increase protein along with fluids and decrease sugar, carb intake for at least 4 days in week two.
- Week 3 goals – exercise 4 days a week for 30 minutes and increase protein along with fluids and decrease sugar, carb intake for at least 5 days in week three.
When setting goals remember these important tips:
- Diet and exercise logs make you more accountable.
- Don’t weigh daily. Try to weigh only once a week and remember muscle weighs more than fat. So don’t let the scale dictate your success by numbers because you should be losing inches as well.
- Include family and friends in your exercise and make it fun.
- Also when preparing meals include family to prevent it feeling like a chore and it will beneficially educate others on how to prepare healthy meals.
Small baby steps will help you towards the “big picture” and when you feel like your failing, stop and make a note just like if you were going on a trip.
Refer back to our December 2017 support group on How To Read Food Labels along with past blogs to help remind you about weight maintenance, overcoming emotional eating and the importance of muscle.
It’s a New Year and time for a NEW YOU!!! Good luck and always remember we are here to assist and help you at any time.