- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups chopped yellow bell pepper (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrot (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can salt-free pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin-seed kernels, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, carrot, and onion; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add paprika and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add 3 cups broth and black pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid spills). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture.
Return pureed vegetable mixture to Dutch oven; stir in remaining 2 cups broth and pumpkin. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 7 bowls; top each serving with about 1 teaspoon pumpkinseeds and about 1/2 teaspoon parsley. Serve immediately.