1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 green pepper, finely diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
8 ounces Italian sausage
1 jar spaghetti sauce
16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 large egg
3-4 zucchini (7-8 inches long)
1 cups Italian-blend shredded cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into long flat slices. Place them on paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and allow them to sit 10-15 minutes to draw out the excess water.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Sauté the onions and green peppers until softened.
- Add the garlic, beef, and Italian sausage, and brown until meats are fully cooked.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, decrease to low heat and cover the pan. Allow sauce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, combine the ricotta, cheese, pepper and egg in a mixing bowl.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, place 1/3 of the meat sauce mixture. Top with layer of zucchini “noodles.” Then spread a layer of ricotta mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Repeat step 7 one more time, and then top the final ricotta layer with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese and Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cheese is browned to your liking.
Recipe adapted from www.bariatricfoodie.com