- 1 small jicama (about ¾ pound), peeled, cut in 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 small unwaxed cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeds
- removed, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, seeds removed, cut in 2-inch matchsticks
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup finely-chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1½ pound large or jumbo shrimp, steamed, peeled (devein, if desired)
- 8 cups shredded leaf lettuce
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Combine the jicama, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and cilantro or parsley in a medium bowl; gently mix. Add the shrimp.
- To make the dressing, combine the lime juice, honey, lime peel, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt in a small bowl; mix together.
- Add the oil; whisk well to blend the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable-shrimp mixture; toss gently to coat the ingredients.
- Cover. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours to marinate and blend the flavors.
- Arrange the salad over lettuce. Garnish with lime wedges.