Makes 8 servings
- 2 medium sweet onions, diced (I prefer sweet, but yellow is fine)
- 2 teaspoons butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20-ounce pkg ground turkey (I like dark-light mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere, Swiss, or Provolone cheese, divided
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Few drops of hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until deep brown; about 45 min to 1 hour. Set aside and allow to cool down to warm before adding to the turkey mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, ground turkey, egg, and 1/2 cup of the cheese, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce.
- Place in 1 large or 2 mini loaf pans. Bake large pan 50-55 minutes, small pans 30-35 minutes or until internal temp is 160 degrees. (Will continue to cook while broiling.)
- Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese over the top and broil for 2 minutes, until melted.
Nutritional Info Per Serving
Calories 229; Carbohydrates 1 gram; Fat 6 grams; Protein 20 grams